HOW CUT AND SHOOT GOT ITS NAME

The community of Cut and Shoot">

HOW CUT AND SHOOT GOT ITS NAME

The community of Cut and Shoot, is located in the northeastern part of Montgomery, County, Texas. It had its unusual beginning and acquired its peculiar name in July 1912.

Prior to 1912 the Missionary Baptist, Hard-shell Baptist, and Methodist citizens of the community went together and built a combination church and school house. They erected the structure with the understanding that all dominations were privileged to preach there except the Mormons and Apostolics. This building was called the Community House, because it was the place where all the people in the community met for their church and social activities.

In July 1912, it happened that a Preacher Stamps of the Apostolic belief appeared in the community, and some of the local brethren invited him to hold a meeting at the Community House. Preacher Stamps seemed not to have been a very reputable person, since it was claimed by some of the citizens that he occasionally visited saloons and went dancing. When the people heard of Preacher Stamps' intention the community immediately paired off into two sides, those who thought the Community House should be used for all denominations, and those who thought it should be closed to the Apostolics. Each side declared their intentions; one claimed that it was going to have the meeting and the other claimed that the meeting would not be held.

On July 20,1912, the day before the meeting was to take place a son of one of the opposing families was sent to the home of one of the school trustees, to get the keys, so the doors could be locked. When the Apostolic element heard of this move they quickly informed the side favorable to the meeting that they would break down the doors if necessary, to gain entrance to the building. A member of the opposing group saddled his horse and rode through the community and notified the people to bring their guns to the Community House the next day. The side favorable to the meeting heard of this gesture and one of their members saddled up and rode through the community to tell the people who were sympathetic toward his side to do the same.

On the morning of July 21 the group who wanted to hear Preacher Stamps gathered at the Community House. They came in their wagons and buggies and brought their lunches with intentions of staying and having an all day preaching and a dinner on the ground. Under their wagon and buggy seats they had their guns and knives rolled up in quilts. On their arrival they found the door of the building locked, and soon after the opposing group arrived with their weapons. This faction immediately inspected the door and declared that the lock had been jammed, whereupon all grabbed their guns and a hot argument developed between two of the opposing families. While the accusations of both sides flew back and forth, the eight-year-old son of one of the families favorable to the meeting became frightened at the disturbance and said; "I'm scared!" "I'm going to cut around the corner and shoot through the bushes in a minute!" Thus the name Cut and Shoot was coined.

Actually no cutting or shooting occurred that day. The arguments continued, however, and finally to avoid a shooting scrape the families favorable to the meeting withdrew to some shade trees and Preacher Stamps delivered his sermon standing on the ground while the citizens sat in their buggies and wagons. After that a brush arbor was built near one of the families house and Preacher Stamps held a protracted meeting there for the rest of the summer. The brush arbor was built near one of the opposing family’s house, and it has been stated that the preaching was loud enough that this family could hear.

The next day after the threatened outbreak of violence at the meetinghouse, on July 22, both sides appeared in Conroe and indicted each other at the Justice of the Peace Court for disturbing the peace, assault, and the use of obscene language. The leaders of the families that had the argument at the Community House were tried and fined. The dispute was carried on between these families for over a year; each indicating the other had the smallest pretense.

At one of the trials the school trustee from whom the key to lock the Community House was obtained was a witness, and the Judge ask him where the fuss had taken place, he had not been at the scrape and not knowing what to call the community, since it did not have a name, replied, "I suppose you would call it the place where they had the cutting and shooting scrape." This was the first indication that the new community might be called Cut and Shoot. At any rate, the name Cut and Shoot stuck to the community, partly through the jests of one of the communities’ citizens who enjoyed telling his friends about the incident that had occurred there.

This history was taken from A History of Montgomery County, Texas by William Harley Gandy. Mr. Gandy researched this story for his Masters Thesis at the University of Houston in 1952. Members of his family were present at the incident as were the people interviewed for this work. Mr. Gandy retired from the teaching profession after many years of dedicated service. His family still owns and occupies the family property in the area.

On April 5, 1969, an election was held to incorporate the area as the Town of Cut and Shoot. On May 17, 1969, Town officials were elected a mayor, five councilmen, and a town marshal. The population in 1969 was 200, 1990 - 903, 2000 - 1158.  On August 10, 2006 the designation was officially changed to city.

The City Hall is located approximately 6 1/2 mile east of Conroe on Texas Highway 105. Stephen F. Austin Elementary School of the Conroe ISD is located in Cut and Shoot with Kindergarten through 4th grade. There are approximately 800 students enrolled from the area.

A contract post office was established in August 1958.

 

updated 08102006